photo 1_zpsbb9813b2.jpg

 photo 1_zps5ad8fea2.jpg photo 2_zps54a44b35.jpg photo 3_zps23279e9b.jpg photo 4_zps59cfbee5.jpg photo 5_zps9dd3ae13.jpg photo 6_zpsc6384bcf.jpg
 photo 0031_zps78715216.jpg

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Sickness & Your Fitness

Ok, so I know this is a weird point to discuss, but a lot of people actually want to know this. Is it ok to workout when I am sick? Or when should I/shouldn't I workout while being ill or becomming ill. I want to talk about this because recently I have caught a cold and am going throught the beginning stages. It was harder to breath in through my nose and out through my mouth during my workout today since my sinuses are stuffed and my throat is sore and so I mostly had to breathe out of my mouth and since my throat was sore, it was a tiny bit uncomfortable. So, I sort of questioned what I feel my body could do today and my energy level. My energy level was pretty normal and I was already up, so I thought "Eh, why not?" But I mean come on! It's just a small cold. Psh! I must say I actually did just fine in my workout, I had to take maybe a few extra breaks than I would normally but I still exerted my full effort and energy to my workout.
    A general rule of thumb to decide whether or not you should workout, is the neck rule. If your symptoms are above the neck than you are generally just fine to workout. Like I said though, judge accordingly to what you can do. If symptoms are below the neck like body aches, deep chest cough, and even though a fever can be above the neck, if you have one, take today off. In that case if your body contains a more severe illness such as the flu or something (below the neck illness) you want to avoid raising your body temperature more than it already has. Avoid it and rest. Listen to your body and do what you can with a more minor sickness and don't do what you can't. It all comes down to listening to what the body says, not the mind because our body is very strong and is brilliant in it's defense system to fight off illnesses. Your mind likes to tell you that "you're too tired, you can't do this, I want to give up, etc". Your body knows what it can handle. Good luck everyone! Pound the elderberry and Vita C, I am seeing the cold and flu get passed around recently. Stay healthy and happy! It's Wednesday! We are halfway there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, I'll respond ASAP.